Friday, September 6, 2013

6 Sept 2013

San Antonio is coming along, not meaning that we are used to the heat, humidity or traffic, but the house is getting set up and we are "tucked" into the Oncology and the Radiation Oncology Services at the hospital. It is such a different thing to be on the patient side...people have been very helpful and respectful--of course to date I have also worn my uniform to appointments so that helps. We are very pleased with both doctors, Dr Haney and Dr Woo. We are set to start treatments sometime next week. It will be 6 weeks of oral chemo and radiation--chemo is daily and radiation is 5 days per week. So greatly looking forward to it as I have this vision of the tumor being happy and trying to fill up the space again! I have studies the side effect profile of the med, Tamadar, and it is fairly minimal--nausea in about 40%, thrombocytopenia in about 9%. So, there is that.
We actually drove home from the hospital last night without wrong turns, still with the help of Stella's GPS. Liza went home this week, it was so wonderful to have her with us as we made excursions out to Cosco, AT&T, Target, Walmart, etc. We will certainly miss seeing her daily. We are so grateful that Stella and Curt are close! Also, continue to be so grateful for the ward and friends here helping us out to be comfortable here. I do wish that I could sleep, however....and I worry about my dear lovely wife as the whole focus is/ has been about me. I feel like we need to do things for her, but have been pleased that each provider, MD and NP in the hospital has asked her how she is doing and does she need professional help. Certainly, the sisters at church are hanging tight for support.

1 comment:

Katie Kennington said...

we are all praying for mom too...plus you guys are together, so when we pray for dad we pray for mom too. Blessings come that way for couples I think. Especially amazing and awesome and super wonderful couples like YOU. Love you!!!