Monday, November 10, 2008

Zeil am Main Marathon 8 Nov 2008

8 November 2008 at 1000 was this small marathon, Zeil am Main. We stayed over night the night before in "Alt Forsthaus". The town was from the 800's and is absolutely cute--worthy of a 3 hr drive!

Mom and Anne were registered for the 21.1 km Nordic Walking and Erik and I for the 42.2 km marathon. It had 870 m vertical meter of elevation change through the whole thing, so was rather hilly. The weather was perfect. It was a double loop, which was nice until it came time to starting the second loop. I faltered for a bit, then decided to do the whole thing. I had not felt that well before and had psyched myself out of it. But at the last moment before going into the chute to finish, I changed my mind and jumped the fence and went off for the second loop! I was glad about that--after I finished.

Erik won an award too! He came in first place in his age bracket. He got to go up to the stage and stand on the winner's stand and be congratulated. He got a prize of 40 Euro, which he sweet talked us into adding to a Polar heart rate monitor watch.

Now, we are going through the with drawl of no marathon until Spring--well at least I am. I am looking around and making thoughts. Watch out those of you visiting for Christmas!!







3 comments:

Katie Kennington said...

Yay for my handsome runners! That's some motivation for you Erik, to keep running. How many people can say they won a marathon. Yay for number 43 too dad. That would have been so fun to do the walk with mom and Anne. I am jealous. So I guess that was a hint to bring running stuff for Christmas? Well, love you tons. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Liz and Scott said...

CONGRATS!! Erik, I love the tights... what a stud! I am glad that you all finished your races! Love, Liza

Kathy said...

What a fun family event. Great job Rich and Erik. You guys are such heroes for doing all that running. Becky was it fun doing the walk? or whatever it was? Rich didn't give enough details about it. We almost did a 5k on Halloween but then we chickened out. One of these days we will.

Hang in there until Spring Rich it will be here before you know it.