It is official. Erik and I finished the Berlin Marathon yesterday. It was AWESOME. I was very proud of him. His did nothing but want to go faster. I fear I will not be allowed to run with him long as I will not be able to keep up with him!! He was entered under the name Brian Kraft--we bought an entry from a guy at work who was not going to go. Check it out. We were #27,065 and #27,064th--meaning 10,000 people behind us. Our time was exactly the same: 5:16:48, which I think is just great. That is why Berlin is so cool. Nearly 41,000 were registered for the marathon. A new world record was set: 2:03:58. Erik is already talking of the next one and wanting to do it in 4:30. I told him, lets start with 4:59 and go from there!
Here is where Erik is with his running from a paper of his for school—as I said, I am proud of him and understand where he is coming from!!
Personal Victory
The looming hill seems unconquerable from the foot of it. The burning in the legs only seems to intensify with each shuffling step. The only thing left to do is to retreat into my mind and invision the top. The footing becomes unsure as the asphalt gives way to mud and gravel. But the end is near. With the last bit of energy it seems, I reach the top, the hill is defeated. My first victory in the many to come is in this single run.
I have not always enjoyed running. There was a time not too long ago when I despised it; back when I did the bare minimum. I never had the motivation to just go and do it. I only had external motivators. Now the motivation is all internal, I have my own reasons to do it. They are simple I like the personal time to reflect, and the views with a profound effect.
The personal time and challenge of a long hard run allows me to think about the future, important choices, and to discover things about myself. The sights are also important. The view from the top encompasses the entire area I have known. How small a world I know, and how large a world there is.
Each run is a personal victory of mind over body. Each run is a personal vacation. Life on top of the hill is no longer a checklist, it is an adventure.
6 comments:
Congrats to you both - what an accomplishment! Loved the pics and especially loved what Erik wrote - forget engineering or mechanics, he could be a world-class writer! Awesome, can't wait to do with you guys next year.
Scooter
Hooray! What an accomplishment to the legendary G.B. and now G.B. jr! You shall be the envy of my day.
Erik! I am so very proud of you! I feel like you are a different person, in reading that paper you wrote. Awesome. You have some wonderful ideas and you have awesome supporters...mom and dad. Dad, you are amazing and I love you more and more every day. Thanks for all you do for us kids. Thanks for your strong example. I love you tons and forever!!!
Erik, What a great essay, its motivating for me to get out and get running again. I am proud of you! Love, liza
Yes, I am very proud of him. We are now registered for Frankfurt later in October. He plans on faster...I asked if he plans on running with the old man. He is undecided currently!!
Dad
That is so great. How proud you must be of Erik. i loved his essay also and it almost made me want to be a marathon runner except for the running of course. Way to go to both of you and for Beck and Anna for being such great supporters.
Post a Comment