Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Marine Corp Marathon






I had the opportunity to take part in the Marine Corp Forward Marathon that was held on 31 Oct 2010 on Victory Base Complex in Baghdad. It was a lovely event, starting at 0500 in the AM in the pitch black darkness with very little lights. We had glow sticks on the gutters when a turn was coming up. There were about 500 runners, it seemed, perhaps less. It was very well organized and consisted of a double loop. I started the marathon with left shin splints, with which I woke up that day--go figure. Continued throughout and gave me something to think about. Mainly, I listened to Conference and took pictures along the way around the man-made lakes from the prior Dictator or Iraq. It was a very nice experience and got me started on my new goal of 100 by 60 years old. It was the 51sth marathon--and I am not even 50 yet: spring Chicken. Makes me wonder if all chickens are young in the spring?

1 comment:

Katie Kennington said...

Yay for daddy! You are amazing. I wish I could still run.